Only Child Syndrome

June 17, 2007

My friend Felina and I were discussing the differences between only children and the rest of the population. She and I both grew up in households where we were the center of the world to our parents, there weren't any siblings to get in the way of what we desired.

We came to these conclusions/realizations:

1.) We take things without asking (even now in adult-hood), because we never had to ask as children. If it looks good, and no one is around, it becomes ours. For example, I was putting on lip gloss and Felina said "Give it" and grabbed it out of my hand and put it on. This is a common trait in only children. I am guilty of the "Give it" mentality.

2.) We expect people to drop what they're doing to cater to us.
The other day I needed to get something out of the oven, and because I'm a weenie that can't do things for myself and expect others to do it for me (only child trait) I go to my boyfriend, Kirk, who was quietly sitting on the couch watching TV. I grab his arm, and say, "Get this out of the oven for me!". Not, "Will you please get this out of the oven for me?" I skip the please part because I expect him to stop what he's doing, get up, and do this without me having to sugar coat anything. He got angry and snapped "Stop pulling on my arm! I get sick of you always doing that!". I was taken back by this. How dare he say that I was doing something wrong! (another only child trait) And of course (in typical Emily fashion) I started crying and stammering something about him being a meanie (because only children don't take responsibility for their actions).

3.) We think all eyes are on us.
If our boyfriends aren't paying attention to us we pout. If they look at other women we get upset, yell, or sulk. If people ignore us we find ways to get their attention (positve or negative). We feel that we should be the center of attention in every situation, and this is non-negotiable.

4.) If someone doesn't like us "They're just jealous!"
We think everything we have is the best, and everyone wants what we have. My car is better than your car. My hair is cuter, my boobs are bigger, and if given an option, people would choose to hang out with me over anyone else. We pretty much think we are better than everyone else, you can call it high self esteem if you want to, or snobby, either one, you're still jealous.

5.) We're selfish
In the bedroom, with our cookies, and with our money. High maintenance? Hell yes.

6.) We have an "I'm the shit" attitude and we don't care who knows it. I remind Kirk on a regular basis that I'm the shit and he'll never find a woman as good as me (because he won't). We always love stronger, party harder, are pretty much the best at everything we set our minds to, and we're sure to let everyone know this. Modesty isn't our top priority. We'll always "get over it" and "move on" because that's how we roll. We don't look back because it's "their loss".

No comments:

Post a Comment