Followup blog to "Just Dating"

March 13, 2007

So I avoided Kirk's calls for a few days, then talked to my parents and my dad (being old and wise) and he told me that I was being gamey and that men don't respond to that very well. He said that it's important to be straight-forward and to the point when interacting with a man, because they don't pick up on any hints you may be dropping or understand any games that you are trying to play with them, they just want the facts, ma'am. So, that's what I did. I told him everything that was bothering me: the Chrissy situation, lack of communication/commitment, and the ever important "just dating" statement. He assured me that he and Chrissy are just friends and that I was over-thinking the whole thing. Which, I have a tendency to do so I gave him that one (plus, Vodka was involved, so that night is a bit questionable on my part). When I talked to him about not opening up to me he said that I'm his longest relationship and wouldn't stay with me if he didn't care about me. I'll admit that I do go a little loco sometimes. I'm not all sugar, there's some spice mixed in. I told him that the Sheryl Crow song "Are you strong enough to be my man" should be my theme song some days. He says that it's hard for him to completely open up to me, but that he's working on it. And finally, I told him that the "just dating" comment had really hurt my feelings. His response was that he just meant that we weren't married yet and that he does consider us to be in a serious committed relationship. Kirk has a little bit of foot-in-mouth syndrome, and has trouble expressing himself. I understand that one completely, because I too suffer from FIMS.

So, everything is peachy keen in Emily/Kirk world, for now at least. We went to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last night and had a blast. He was being the sweet, affectionate, protective boyfriend that I know he can be. We'll get in fights and it will eventually work out, because he's worth the occasional frustration and headache. Everything that is meant to happen will. I can't be too eager or pushy, I need to learn how to just chill out and take everything day by day. Not everyone goes at the same pace, and if you don't want to loose your partner, you'll just have to learn to adjust your speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment